Women’s Legal Landmarks ‘In Conversation’ – UPDATED
In the centenary year of women’s formal admission to the legal profession, the Women’s Library at the London School of Economics will host a series of talks exploring legal landmarks for women.
Talks are free and start at 5pm (with the exception of the December talk). You can find the Women’s Library at LSE Library, 10 Portugal Street WC2A 2HD
11 September 2019
- Match Women’s Strike, 1888 Jacqueline Lane
- Dagenham car plant strike, 1968 Dawn Watkins
16 October 2019
- A Pageant of Great Women, Cicely Hamilton, 1909-1912 Katharine Cockin
- DPP v Jonathan Cape and Leopold Hill (1928) Caroline Derry
12 November 2019
- Married Women’s Property Act 1882 Andy Hayward
- Married Women’s Property Act 1964 Sharon Thompson
11 December 2019 – 6pm, Wolfson Theatre in the New Academic Building (overlooking Lincoln’s Inn Field)
- Sex Disqualification (Removal) Act 1919 Mari Takayanagi
Women’s Legal Landmarks at Manchester Law School
The Sylvia Pankhurst Gener and Diversity Research Centre hosts an afternoon discussion about the Project, the landmarks and feminist law reform. Speakers include Erika Rackley, Kay Lalor Annapurna Waughray, Anne Morris, Nikki Godden-Rasul, Penny Russell and Ruth Lamont.
6 December 2-4pm, BR G.78 – Lecture Theatre 1, Brooks Building, Manchester Metropolitan University. More details here.
Women’s Legal Landmarks – at Womble Bond Dickinson
We were delighted to speak at Womble Bond Dickinson at an interactive panel discussion organised by Supuni Perera. Held in London on 21 May 2019, the event was live streamed across all of the UK Womble Bond Dickinson offices. You can read more about the event here.
Women’s Legal Landmarks ‘In Conversation’
In the centenary year of women’s formal admission to the legal profession, the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies Women’s Library at the London School of Economics hosted a series of talks exploring legal landmarks for women.
13 February 2019
- Sex Discrimination Act 1975 Anne Morris
- Sex Discrimination (Election Candidates) Act 2002 Sue Atkins
13 March 2019
- First women’s refuge, 1971 Felicity Kaganas
- First Rape Crisis Centre, 1976 Alison Diduck
10 April 2019
- A Brief Summary of the Most Important Laws Concerning Women, Barbara Leigh Smith Bodichon, 1854 Joanne Conaghan
- Greenham Common Women’s Peace Camp, 1981-2000 Elizabeth Woodcraft
15 May 2019 – cancelled
- Health (Family Planning) Act 1979 Máiréad Enright
- Thirty-sixth Amendment to the Irish Constitution, 2018 Fiona de Londras
12 June 2019
- Section 5(1) of the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1885 Lois Bibbings
- R v Jackson (1891) Teresa Sutton